Paphos Medieval Castle
The Pafos castle was originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbour. It was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, dismantled by the Venetians in 1570 during the Ottoman invasion and rebuilt by the Ottomans after they captured the island in the 16th century. Originally, this role was served by the Saranta Kolones fort, ruins of which lie a few hundred meters to the north.
During its long history, the Pafos Castle was used, in addition to protection, as prison cells, or even as a storage area for salt when the island was a British colony.
Since 1935 it was declared as an ancient monument and today is considered as one of the hallmarks of the Pafos region.
On the square just infront of the castle a lot of cultural events take place, while during September each year the Paphos Aphrodite Festival which presents a different opera every year performed by world famous artists is taking place just infront of the castle, whose building usually acts as part of the scenery.